This is my infamous Nut-free Raw Vegan Pumpkin Pie, part of my 7 recipe nut-free raw vegan recipe series! This thick spiced pumpkin filling, coupled with my sweet nut-free crust will satisfy all of your pumpkin pie cravings this holiday season… or any time for that matter!
This recipe is 1 of 7 of my nut-free ThanksLIVING recipe series which also includes:
Serves: 4-8 Yields: a pie
Calories: 3286 Macronutrient Ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat): 83.6/2.7/13.7
Prep Time: 45-60 minutes
- Food Processor
- 1 pie pumpkin
- 1-2 pounds of dates
- 1 persimmon
- 1 mature coconut or pulp of one mature coconut (from making coconut milk)
- 1-2 tbsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of nutmeg
- Process whole coconut chunks into small pieces, or just use pulp (the gravy recipe uses coconut milk, and the pulp is left over). Add dates slowly until a thick crust base forms. It shouldn’t be too overly sticky, that would mean too many dates were added. ½ pound or so of dates should be enough for one mature coconut. Some cinnamon can be added to the crust as well.
- Cut the top of the pie pumpkin off, cut in half, and scoop seeds out. Carefully peel the pumpkin with a chef’s knife and chop the pumpkin up relatively small for easy blending.
- Blend the peeled and chopped pie pumpkin, add as many dates as you like. More dates will mean a thicker filling, but you might want a more spicy filling in which case use less dates. ½ pound- 1 pound should be good, more is fine as well. Add the persimmon and all of the spices too, I put the persimmon on the bottom for easy blending.
- Push crust into pie plate, and then spread the filling in.
- As an option, the meat of a young Thai coconut could be blended with a small amount of coconut water. This will thicken in the fridge and make a raw vegan whipped cream!