I attended a friend’s raw potluck and there was this awesome fennel dish there. I love fennel if you haven’t seen all of my fennel recipes! And this fennel dish was awesome, but it had a lot of oil AND nuts in it. Here is my low fat oil free recreation!
Serves: 1-2 people Yields: 5+ cups of slaw
Calories: 722 Macronutrient Ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat): 58/6/36
Prep Time: 30-60 minutes
- One bulb of fennel, with or without the leaves (also called anise)
- 3-4 oranges
- 1/4-1/2 of a red onion
- 1/2 of a bell pepper of your choice
- 1 avocado
- Optional: a few handfuls of pomegranate arils (check my video below for how to quickly de-seed a pomegranate!)
- Start by chopping up the fennel, onion, and bell pepper. For the fennel I chop the leaves/stems into small pieces and then for the bulb I cut it in half and then slice it then so that I get half moon type pieces. I do the same with the onion and cut the pepper into strips.
- Next I juice some of the oranges and blend with the avocado. I mix this sauce into the chopped ingredients and then I chop the remaining orange into bite sized pieces. Add optional pomegranate, and serve.