I never really cared for eggnog in the past. A carton would always be bought out of tradition and no one would drink it…and down the drain it would go! This raw vegan version however will go down in history! This tastes fantastic, even people who are not huge durian fans (people who had never tried durian) liked it when I sampled it to them. It contains only a small amount of durian, so it can be a nice way to introduce the fruit to people. This is creamy and rich and flavourful. If you love durian you will love this recipe!
Serves: a party Yields: 1 litre/1000 ml
Calories: 2465 Macronutrient Ratio (Carb/Protein/Fat): 28.5/2.8/68.7
Prep Time: 20-30 minutes
- Nut-milk bag
- 2 mature coconuts (will yield 1 litre/1000 ml coconut milk)
- 1 pod of durian (1/2 cup to as much as 1 cup)
- 4-5 dates
- fresh ground nutmeg to taste, about 1-2 tsp
- First blend the coconut meat with enough water to make it blend, I fill the blender until it is at the same level as the coconut meat in the blender.
- Strain the coconut milk out with the nut-milk bag and save the pulp for other recipes. See video below for how to make coconut milk.
- blend the coconut milk with durian, dates and the nutmeg.
- This can be serve slightly chilled but it WILL thicken up quite a bit in the fridge, even to the point of the thickness of a mousse.